February 12, 2009

Sad Day for Iowans

Iowa Looking to Break From Electoral College

DES MOINES (AP) - Iowa lawmakers are considering changing the way the state's presidential votes are counted as part of an effort to break from the Electoral College system.The proposal is moving through the state Senate and so far has generated little opposition.
It calls for Iowa to join with other states and pledge its electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote, no matter who wins in Iowa.
Once states representing 270 electoral votes have adopted such a resolution, it would go into force.Support for such a move has been building since 2000, when President Bush became president despite losing the popular vote to Al Gore.

Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)for Kicking Free Speech to the Curb

SENATOR TOM HARKIN (D-IA): Well, anytime – just let me know Bill. I love being with you, and thanks again for all you do to get the truth and the facts out there. By the way, I read your Op-Ed in the Washington Post the other day. I ripped it out, I took it into my office and said 'there you go, we gotta get the Fairness Doctrine back in law again.'

No comments: