January 09, 2007


Sometimes I wish we could all see the world through the eyes of a child, things could be so much simpler.

We have a three and a half-year-old daughter that from the very beginning, and I know I am biased here, has been a very special little girl. Arwen was what her doctor called a precocious talker before she was one. Not only that she knew a lot of words but that she was using them is sentences that strangers could actually understand. She has a gift for music and often breaks out in song for no apparent reason. I could go on of course, but what she did the other night left me in awe of her little mind and I would like to share it with you.

As we were watching a show about the conjoined twins, Abby and Brittany Hensel, from Minnesota, Arwen came into the room and stopped cold in front of the television. She stood there silently, as I watched her eyes scanning the action on the screen. You could almost hear the little wheels whirling as she intently watched the story of the two girls. “You get to answer this one.” I whispered to my wife as we waited for the inevitable questions to come.

After a long moment of contemplation she looked to me with a seriousness I had never seen and stated matter of factly “Those girls are stuck together”, and that was that. There was no need to question the how or the why. She had boldly stated something so innocently simple that it left me dumbfounded. She had figured it all out on her own and no further explanation was necessary. Nor would I attempt to offer one.

That job done, she climbed up next to my wife on he couch and snuggled in for a bedtime story.

No comments: