August 05, 2009

Flotsam and Jetsam

Words of Wisdom
'Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit.' Anon.
Stolen from Maggies Farm

Why Most Journalists Are Democrats.
From Psychology Today

Unsurprisingly, self-selection plays an important role in choosing a job. People choosing to do work related to prisons, for example, commonly show quite different characteristics than those who volunteer for work in helping disadvantaged youths. Academicians have very different characteristics than CEOs—or politicians, for that matter.

Harry Stein, former ethics editor of Esquire, once said: "Journalism, like social work, tends to attract individuals with a keen interest in bettering the world.” In other words, journalists self-select based on a desire to help others. Socialism, with its “spread the wealth” mentality intended to help society’s underdogs, sounds ideal.

Crisis of Confidence: America's Government Losing Faith in Out-of-Touch Constituents
From Iowa Hawk

...Unfortunately, recent evidence suggests that America's hard-working hometown legislators are feeling the pinch from a fickle and increasingly out-of-touch voter class who no longer serves our needs.

Nowhere has this disturbing trend been more evident than in the recent debate over health care reform. Like hundreds of our fellow legislators and government officials, we recently traveled to a town hall meeting to distribute a grassroots press release explaining why this critical legislation is a done deal. Our advance staffs said that should anticipate a respectful, positive hearing from local media and bused-in union members. Instead we were greeted by a rude howling mob of idiot "voters" who refused to listen to reason, and ruined what should have been a killer photo op for our re-election ad campaign.

A Salmon Apology; I would like to take this opportunity to say that I have been remiss in linking to the always funny IowaHawk lately despite the fact that 98% of my 3.5 daily readers find their way here from the IowaHawk site. I would like to suggest that the other 2%of my readers make the IowaHawk a regular stop.

And while I'm at it; I would also like to welcome Blog de KingShamus and ask that you click through and check it out.

No comments: