August 18, 2008

PC Hypersensitivity

The New York Times reports that a group of the "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history" have taken to the streets to protest the use of the word "retard" in the Ben Stiller release of "Tropic Thunder". This movie is a comedy and the purpose of comedy to be irreverent, to make us look at the sillyness of ourselves. It is not hate speech! Who didn't love Steve Martin as Nevin R. Johnson ("I was born a poor black child") in "The Jerk" or the racial overtones in "Blazing Saddles."

I am sure that anyone that looks hard enough can find something to be offended about in just about anything. (sarcasm alert) In fact, I took my daughter to see "Kung Fu Panda" yesterday and I was aghast to see pigs and geese depicted as stereotypical slanty eyed Chinese. Then his little tidbit jumped off the page as I read the transcript to the Obama/ McCain Saddleback Forum.
Obama: You mentioned one person I'd be listening to and that is Michelle, my wife.... I think any leader needs somebody who can get in your face and say " Boy, you really screwed that one up. You really blew it."

She calls him Boy? Insensitive x&Y%$, I'm outraged!.

This example, like the Tropic Thunder case is PC hypersensitivity at its worst. Seems ridiculous doesn't it.

No comments: