May 28, 2009

Life at the Salmon Shack

Finally... Schools out for Summer. I'm sure it is typical with most students, particularity the non-traditional type such as myself, to hit the proverbial wall. It happened to me this semester and for the first time I exchanged the mad dash to the deans list for a casual stroll down give a shit lane. I am beginning to see the light at the end of this tunnel however. I will return this summer to my old Alma mater Tall Corn College and Technical Institute to finish up the foreign language requirement and then only 10 hours separates me from the college degree.

The first task of the summer was log day. Every year I spend considerable time locating free BTUs to run through the wood stove but this year our neighbor took down a tree in his front yard that should see us through another cold Iowa winter. The woman that lets me live with her, bless her heart, helped out on the splitter and I then spent a day stacking. This job usually occurs in the heat of August so it is a relief to get it out of the way during our unusually cold spring.

A flock of Robins has taken up residence in our rickety wood fence which is now going to delay the fence replacement project. Darn the luck.

Rights of Passage:

The First Shiner.

Turning Six
Pierced Ears

No comments: