February 28, 2007

From the Deathbed

Having a three year old that spends time in the day care world, leads to opportunities to meet new and interesting bacterium and virus' on a regular basis. Over the last week I developed a relationship with what must be a new form of cyano-bacteria, judging from the wonder full blue green hue, that had adapted to the dark damp conditions of my lungs. I coughed so much that for a moment I thought I was in danger of my twelve pack abs turning into a six pack, and I was wheezing like a ninety year old asthmatic.

Since there is usually a silver lining in every dark cloud I would like to pass on this one. Being ill gave me the opportunity to spend inordinate amounts of time in front of the TV while the poor wife (bless her heart) took over snow and ice removal during the week end storm.

I ran across an astrophysicist Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of New York City's Hayden Planetarium promoting his book Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries on CSpan's Book TV. Move over Bill Nye the Science Guy, here is a guy that can take a subject like cosmology, astrophyics, or ID, and relate it to the general public in a way that is relevant understandable and in many cases, with just a touch of humor. Plus he has the goods to back it up. He had me hooked at how the elements were formed. Just an amazing speaker. As a bonus he narrated a NOVA special on Monday night. If you get the opportunity check him out.

I am by the way on the road to recovery and thanks to the work of modern science and the development of antibiotics and steroidal medications I will soon have the lungs of an out of shape middle aged fat guy once again. Thank you Merck and Co. for all you do.

No comments: